My dad taught me everything I know (well…he taught me a lot).
- How to ride a bike.
- How to save and budget my weekly $20 allowance.
- How to deliver an award winning student council speech.
- And how to meet people.
My dad has never met a stranger, and by default, he’s conditioned me to be the same way.
When I was younger, he made me learn by thrusting me into the fire, saying, “You can’t do any swimming until you get off the bank.”
At Blockbuster (the movie rental store), he’d make me go inside and return the movie—all by myself.
At the restaurant, he’d make me order my dish how I liked it, all by myself.
Meeting one of his friends in public, he’d make me shake hands and introduce myself.
And buying a car, he’d make me “do the deal” with the car salesman.
Many kids are shy—hiding behind their parents’ backs as young kids, or allowing their parents to speak up for them.
But not me.
My dad thrust me into the fire, and by default, I have never met a stranger.
Blame it on a reason why I became a journalist (my first and former profession), but I now LOVE talking to people, learning more about their stories and simply sharing good conversation.
Whether I’ve known you for 5-minutes or 5 years, I guarantee ya, we will have something to talk about (and hopefully we will become fast friends if not before).
If so, you’re not alone.
Social anxiety—fear of social situations— is the third largest psychological problem in the United States today, with at least 1 in 10 people fearing being judged or nervous about talking and interacting with others.
If you are one of these people, today’s #thriveproject may be a little out of your wheelhouse.
But guess what: What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.
Today: Meet a stranger: Ask them about THEM…and make their day.
Strike up a convo with someone in a line at Starbucks.
Say “hello” and ask the guy next to you at the gas station pump how their day is going.
Get to know the story of the girl you always see at the gym at the same time as you—and compliment her on a character strength you observe.
You can do it!
Here are my top 6 tips for connecting more with others:
- Remember that a person’s name is, to that person, the sweetest and most important sound in any language. Greet them (or ask them) their name, and use it.
- Be genuinely interested in other people and talk in terms of the other person’s interest. All ya gotta do is focus on the other person. Listen to what they like or share…and elaborate with questions and interest.
- Be a good listener. Listen more than you talk.
- Make the other person feel important – and do it sincerely. (compliment them). Refer to Day 27 (yesterday’s #thrivelife project for inspiration).
- Be yourself. Don’t overthink it.
- Smile. Your prettiest asset.
#thrivelife project wrap up.
Wow…has 30 days really come and gone?!
Over the past 30 days, we’ve been talking all about LIVING BIGGER with a daily #thrivelife project devoted to being the change we wish to see in the world.
Random acts of kindness and purpose-filled liviving make life so much more fun (than focusing soooo much on what we look like, wear or eat), don’t you think?
The official Thrive Life Project online program kicks off this month and is a workout and nutrition program like none other.
Unlike most nutrition challenges or fitness training Apps, we’re also talking mindset transformation.
Instead of focusing on burning a certain number of calories; eating rice cakes and striving for a number on the scale (that fluctuates in any given day), Thrive Life gives you no-nonsense (holistic) nutrition, movement and lifestyle plan with play-by-play guidance to get the body you want—with a mindset that’s TWICE as stunning.
In other words: you don’t have to fight your body so hard.
The Thrive Life Project Online Program includes:
- 30-Days of a play-by-play nutrition, fitness and mind-strengthening action steps and easy-to-follow plan
- A non-dieting nutrition philosophy (that actually gets you results quicker)
- 30 Days of 10-Minute Easy Prep Meals
- Kick butt (fun) daily workouts
- Exclusive access to the Thrive Life Project Fitness app
- Exclusive access to the Thrive Life Project Facebook community
- Freedom from your inner mean girl
- Gaining confidence to rock a bikini (or jeans and t-shirt)
- Sustainable mindset and lifestyle change to be the best version of you—inside and out (without trying so hard)
- Optional ongoing monthly subscription for daily home and gym workouts