TGIF, right? Thank goodness!
How was your week? Did it drag? Was it a whirlwind? Nice and steady?
It’s crazy how some weeks in life can feel like an eternity, while others go by in the blink of an eye, and yet, some way or another, the weekend rolls around, and a change in pace occurs.
A break from a 9-5 rat race, or “norm routine”. Perhaps an all-day football fest, time to sleep in and make banana pancakes (recipe below!), a night out on the town with your friends or significant other, “catch up on life” days, or simple some good ol’ R&R.
Ah, sigh, nothing like the weekend.
What are you looking forward to this weekend?
While weekends are definitely a highlight for the majority of people in our society, I often scratch my head as to why we wish the weeks away?
If we live Friday to Friday, we sure do miss out on a lot in between!
This resonated with me this week when someone asked me, on Tuesday, what I had planned for the weekend already.
This, to a girl who often can’t clearly remember what it is she had for breakfast just hours earlier, or what she wore yesterday, without thinking about it for a moment.
Isn’t the more appropriate question, How was your past weekend?
I like to call this Friday Fever Syndrome.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Fridays just as much as you do, but there is a lot of joy that happens Monday through Thursday.
Here’s a little challenge for you, nothing too intensive, since I know it is a Friday…but think of 3 “mundane” things that brought you joy in your day-to-day during this past ho-hum week.
It could be:
- Your routine coffee-shop run and barista who knows your name and your ‘usual.’
- Your daily devotional
- A text message or phone call with an old friend
- A shared meal with another friend
- Walking or running out at Town Lake
- The beautiful weather
- Beating traffic or hitting all the green lights on the way to work
- A pedicure, haircut or other pamper treatment
- Striking an unexpected sale at the store
- A compliment someone gave you
Don’t think too hard, but be thoughtful. What are three things that brought you ‘mundane’ joy this week?
Now, the even bigger challenge?
Be on the lookout for these ‘little things’ daily—not just on Fridays, not just on the weekends.
Happy fun Friday—and here’s to the ongoing days of a great week! (not necessarily the end).
On a side note…if you just so happen to have a little bit of a more relaxing Saturday or Sunday morning, try your chef’s hat at this EASY Banana Pancake Recipe.
½-1 whole banana, ripe/spotted
1 TBSP natural almond butter
cinnamon, for taste
1-2 tsp. coconut oil for cooking
- Mix all ingredients together, mashing banana well with a fork until batter-like
- Heat pan with coconut oil
- Pour ½ of batter into pan, let golden brown on one side, then flip like an omelet and cook until golden brown
- Do the same thing with the other ½ of the batter
- Serve on a plate, spread with extra almond butter or sunny-side-up egg on top, if you like
- Eat up!