“I don’t want to get bulky”–#saidmostwomen.
- “I have a slow metabolism.”
- “Weight lifting makes me pack on muscle.”
- “I am a heavier build.”
I hear you, I hear you.
It is true—just like snowflakes come in all shapes and sizes, there are different body types.
However, if you think picking up a dumbbell or looking at a donut is enough to make you “bulk” think again.
For your information, here are 13 sure ways how to get bulky…that you probably haven’t thought about:
- Not eating enough. Undereating or accidentally dieting (as in not eating enough without trying). Breakfast skipping. Low fat intake.
- Not chewing your food well. Chew, chew, swallow. Chew, chew, swallow=poor digestion=poor metabolism.
- Doing cardio only. Stress makes your body fight itself. When we run like hamsters on wheels doing cardio only, we stress our body out.
- Eating low-fat dairy. Low fat and non-fat dairy is a processed food with less nutrients and more sugar and additives—which disrupts your digestion and hormonal balance.
- Sleeping less than 6 hours. Be a sleeping beauty to allow your body and metabolic functions to fully have the time it needs to repair each night.
- Not drinking water Bloating and sluggishness is a bulky feeling.
- Drinking diet sodas and coffee like water. More bloating and constipation from dehydration + stress (metabolism imbalances).
- Working out to “earn your food”. Can set you up for the diet mentality, binge episodes or emotional eating.
- Tying emotions to food. You become disconnected from your body. And “80% of all results=nutrition.” When you are disconnected from what your body needs, then you may not be nourishing yourself appropriately.
- Avoiding Fats. Fat is an energy and metabolism booster! If you don’t get enough, your body sloooowwwws down
- Avoiding Proteins. Protein provides healthy structure for your cells and muscles. It doesn’t make you “bulk”—it feeds a lean mean healthy machine.
- Avoiding Carbs. Not just “fat storage” foods—but actually lean muscle building fuel. If you go too low carb, your body gets stressed and holds on to weight. The mistake many women make is when they avoid balance of one or all the food groups (like a low fat diet, replaced by higher carb and more sugar in the body, or a low carb diet and low fat diet, leading to more stress). Peace and balance.
- Unrealistic expectations. 60-70% of women report feeling WORSE about themselves after looking at others on social media. And, every girl has looked at the cover of a magazine in the airport or grocery store before and thought: if only I looked like her. Chances are your ideas of what “bulky” means may not be accurate if you’re comparing it to other people. What is healthy for you and your body? Are you living in reality?
Ok…so now you know what it takes to “get bulky”…Check out tomorrow’s Workout Wednesday post with some insight on how “not” to get bulky (chances are, the answers may surprise you).
FREE THRIVE KICKSTARTER GUIDE
Get a taste of what Thrive is all about with the Free 7-Day Thrive in Life Kickstart Guide when you join Thrive’s inner circle.